We’ve been doing a lot of legwork but are still in a holding pattern.
We streamlined the last design posted here and submitted it to our contractor (#1). It came in high. Not just high, but ugly high. He suggested that we approach a more experienced home builder.
The more experienced builder (#2) recommended cost cutting measures (aka Value Engineering), so we nixed the exterior stone, changed the 2nd floor and stairs to carpet and all the railings became wood. His estimate ALSO came in too high.
It wasn’t ugly high though. Just distastefully high. It helps that they are part of a conglomerated builders buying group to get highly discounted bulk pricing on commodity items. (Say conglomerated builders buying group ten times really fast.)
We’ve proposed 3 things and are waiting for a response:
- Raise our budget to our limit (ugh) and then meet the remaining overage by:
- Reducing square feet – Based on the estimate we need to cut 470 s.f.
- Provide labor and purchase certain items direct, and see how they effect the estimate.
Since this is an unconventional approach and requires additional up-front time and risk from them (without any guarantee of the job with us), we have no idea if they’ll even consider the proposal.