After we adjusted the stakes marking the house corners (error on my part. Paying for and having a proper survey would have helped. Lesson learned.) It was a busy week and a half on site. In summary: BASEMENT!
The remaining timber was milled. That beautiful black cherry board Melissa and her dad are trimming on the sawmill will be a couple of stair treads. A portion of our firewood got stacked, and restacked (oops!). We had help once again from Melissa’s dad, Dan, and brother, Matt. Thanks guys! We also owe a HUGE thanks to Jason P., Trevor O., and Michael L, who worked to exhaustion. We did our stuff on Monday and got to see the foundation drainage pipe get placed and concrete form work delivered.
The forms were removed the following day. Wah-la! Basement walls! We used formliners on the front walls to look like they were formed with wood boards. Stone veneer didn’t make the budget. I also collected the debris along the walls after-hours, which amounted to about 30 pounds of form tie snap-offs and dropped nails, and a bag of bottles and cans. That stuff is frequently buried on jobs. Not ours.
Weather and time permitting this coming holiday week, we’ll have slabs, water proofed walls and backfill placed – a complete basement!